Looking for a real estate agent in Charleston
? There are roughly 8,000 real estate agents in the Charleston area working for a number of Charleston real estate companies
. With so many agents to choose from, how do you find the right agent to work with? There are several points to consider when choosing your real estate agent:
1) Experience – It’s not just how long the agent has been selling real estate, but more importantly, how much the agent has sold. Some real estate agents only make a few transactions every year. So, a good way of gauging an agent’s experience is to find out how much real estate they sell every year. Many buyers feel pressured to work with a friend or a relative who has a real estate license. If that person is an experienced agent, then you’ve really lucked out! But, if you’re worried that he or she is not the best agent for the job, then you should at least look into finding another real estate agent.
2) Commitment – Find a full-time agent to work with. This point goes back to experience, in that many agents sell real estate on the side and lack the hands-on experience that one hundred or two hundred transactions can provide. You’ll need an agent who is committed to you and can work with your schedule.
3) Full Listings – You’ll want to make sure that your real estate agent is showing you all the listings that meet your needs, regardless of the listing company. Some agents push their own listings or their own company’s listings. As a buyer, you’ll want full access to the MLS in your area, and you should be able to see everything that matches your search to make the best home buying decision.
4) Knowledgeable – Charleston has a lot of areas to choose from. So, it’s important to find an agent who not only has plenty of real estate experience, but also knows about the many areas and neighborhoods within Charleston. And, some agents specialize in certain Charleston areas – so be sure you’re working with an agent who knows the area in which you’re buying. Also, if you’re investing in Charleston real estate, it would benefit you to work with an agent who also invests in real estate on the side. He or she would then be able to recommend neighborhoods to you and talk with you about the rental market, etc.
5) Good Response – Your real estate agent should respond to your calls and emails within a reasonable amount of time. He or she should also really listen to what you need and be able to give valuable feedback. In a service-based industry like real estate, it’s not enough to know all the statistics and neighborhoods, etc. Real Estate agents also have to give exceptional service in order to succeed in this business.